Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
At least 35,000 Congolese civilians displaced by fighting in South Kivu province

Previous article | Next

UNHCR - July 24, 2009

Congo Refugees in Tanzania

An outbreak of fighting in the eastern Congolese province of South Kivu has forced more than 35,000 civilians to flee their homes in the past two weeks.

The latest population movement brings the total number of civilians to have been displaced in South Kivu since January as a result of clashes between government forces and Rwandan rebels, and reprisal attacks on civilians, to about 536,000 people.

"We are gravely concerned that the renewed fighting in South Kivu will have a negative impact on UNHCR-organized voluntary repatriation of Congolese refugees from neighbouring Tanzania, the majority of whom are from the province," a UNHCR spokesman said on Friday.

Initial UNHCR estimates show that at least 35,000 people have been displaced in the Ruzizi River plain, where the Democratic Republic of the Congo borders Rwanda and Burundi. These people reportedly fled iafter the government launched a fresh military campaign on July 12 in the Uvira area of South Kivu. The campaign is aimed at the disarmament of the so-called Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) and their local militia allies.

Many of the residents of Lemera and Mulenge, two of the major towns in the region north of Uvira, are reported to have fled and an estimated 19,000 people are said to be hiding in the forests and villages near Lemera.

The majority of the displaced civilians are seeking protection with host families in areas where it is still safe, while others have sheltered in schools, churches and other public buildings. Internally displaced people (IDPs) in the conflict areas in the mountains of the Moyens Plateaux remain almost completely inaccessible.

There are widespread reports from IDPs of atrocities, including accusations of murder, rape and torture on the part of FDLR rebels. Fleeing populations also report arbitrary arrests, kidnappings, extortion and forced taxation by the FDLR and various armed groups backing the Rwandan Hutu rebels.

Due to lack of access and insecurity it is extremely difficult to assess the scope of the latest displacement. So far, UNHCR has tentatively pre-registered some 20,000 individuals in the Luberizi-Kamanyola axis, along the Burundi border, where most of the new IDPs had gathered.

The UNHCR office in the South Kivu lakeside town of Bukavu reports that families continued to be on the run throughout the week. Preliminary evaluations conducted in coordination with other humanitarian partners show that these people need food, water, medical supplies and basic aid items such as blankets, mattresses and cooking utensils.

The UN refugee agency is also monitoring the situation of those most vulnerable, identifying people at risk and with specific needs, including victims of sexual violence and arbitrary detention. UNHCR will also evaluate the need for shelter assistance in order to minimize the pressure on the host families and local community.

The total number of people displaced by violence and fighting in the eastern DRC is over 1.8 million.


Related articles


  1. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  2. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  3. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  4. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  5. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  6. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  7. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  8. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  9. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  10. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  11. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  12. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  13. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  14. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  15. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  16. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  17. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  18. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  19. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  20. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  21. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  22. Rwandan FDLR rebels 'kill 26 in DR Congo' (January 4, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  24. Supreme Court Rules Joseph Kabila Won Presidential Election (December 16, 2011)
  25. Kabila Leads Partial Election Results (December 3, 2011)
  26. Candidates to Make Last Stand in Kinshasa before Monday's Election (November 26, 2011)
  27. Campaigning in Eastern Congo, Kamerhe Vows To Restore State Authority (November 22, 2011)
  28. Tshisekedi Denies Telling Supporters to Use Violence (November 19, 2011)
  29. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  30. Rwandan Rebel Leader Faces ICC on War Crimes Charges (September 16, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.