Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Joint verification mechanism now operational

Previous article | Next



KINSHASA, 10 Feb 2005 (IRIN) - Congolese and Rwandan military officers have activated a joint verification mechanism for the common border between the two countries, an administrator in Congo's eastern province of South Kivu said.

The deputy governor of South Kivu, Thomas Nziratimana, said the military officers met for the first time on 2 February in the provincial capital Bukavu, "to install the mechanism which allows the two neighbouring countries to verify and clear all accusations between them for the border area in the province".

He said the two-member teams were part of the joint verification mechanism for the common border between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), along the main corridor between Cyangugu in Rwanda and Bukavu.

Officers of the UN Mission in the DRC, known as MONUC, attended the Bukavu meeting.

The government of Rwanda has in the past accused the Kinshasa government of arming Rwandan Hutu rebels, comprising fighters of the former Rwandan army (ex-FAR) and militiamen known as the "Interahamwe", and providing them with a base to launch attacks against Rwanda.

Members of the ex-FAR and the Interahamwe fled to eastern DRC after the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, in which up to 937,000 people were killed, mostly Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

On the other hand, the Kinshasa government has accused Rwanda of having troops on Congolese soil and supporting Congolese rebels. Rwanda has denied this.

Members of the joint verification mechanism are expected to document all allegations and suspicions and to present them during their next meeting in Cyangugu at a date to be determined.

The border verification mechanism was established in September 2002, when Rwandan President Paul Kagame and his Congolese counterpart, Joseph Kabila, signed a peace treaty in Pretoria, South Africa.

Officially, Rwanda has pulled out its troops from the DRC, which at one time numbered 20,000. The Kinshasa government, with MONUC's support, was supposed to disarm and repatriate the Rwandan combatants on its territory.

Rwandan has twice invaded the DRC, in 1996 and in 1998, ostensibly to flush out the Hutu combatants based in eastern Congo.

MONUC, which acts as verification facilitator, has indicated that by February, 7,072 Rwandan fighters and their dependents had been repatriated on voluntary basis.

MONUC estimates that 8,000 Rwandan combatants remain in Congo. "Not all fighters are Interahamwe, the majority belong to the "Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda, which were created after the genocide" Maj Boyd Aitkem, the MONUC spokesperson in charge of demobilisation, disarmament, repatriation, reinsertion and reinstallation, said.

"We hope that the mechanism helps [to] ease the mutual accusations which carry the risk that they lead to a new war between the two countries," Nziratimana said.


Related articles


  1. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  2. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  3. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  4. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  5. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  6. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  7. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  8. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  9. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  10. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  11. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  12. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  17. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  18. Kagame May Face War Crimes Charges at the ICC, Says US Official (July 26, 2012)
  19. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  20. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  21. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo (July 2, 2012)
  22. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)
  23. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  24. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  25. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  26. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  27. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)
  28. Kabila Names Finance Minister as New Prime Minister (April 19, 2012)
  29. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  30. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.