Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Gunmen Retake Congo Stronghold from UN, Army

Previous article | Next

VOA News - July 5, 2006

Gunmen Retake Congo Stronghold from UN, Army


05 July 2006

Congolese gunmen have launched an offensive and retaken their stronghold in the lawless east. The capture of Tchei, in Ituri district, is a setback for the U.N. and government forces that chased militia away just weeks ago and are struggling to pacify Congo ahead of elections later this month.

Democratic Republic of Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo
United Nations peacekeepers and the Democratic Republic of Congo's fledgling army had chased the militia away, on their third attempt, at the end of May.

But, over the last week, rebels in Congo's lawless northeastern Ituri district have mounted an offensive and retaken control of their stronghold, just south of the town of Bunia, the U.N. and the army have confirmed.

During heavy fighting for the town, a government spokesman said at least eight government soldiers were killed. The U.N. said it has also evacuated many wounded government soldiers.

Neither could confirm militia casualties as the rebels always carry away their dead during battle.

The loss of Tchei is a blow to the U.N. peacekeeping force and the ragtag army just weeks before the country's historic elections, which are meant to draw a line under a decade of war and chaos.

Thousands of civilians were displaced during the operation that was carried out by 1,000 U.N. peacekeepers and 3,000 government soldiers to seize Tchei in late May.

The militia's return underlines how weak Congo's army is and the scale of the task that remains to pacify the mineral-rich east, before, during and after the elections.

Ituri is just one of several parts of the east where thousands of rebels are holding out against attempts by the U.N. and the government to stamp their authority three years after Congo's war was officially declared over.

The continuing violence and insecurity adds daily to the estimated four million killed by war-related hunger and disease since 1998.


Related articles


  1. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  2. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  3. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  4. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  5. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  6. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  7. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  8. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  9. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  10. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  11. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  12. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  13. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  14. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)
  15. ICC suspends Thomas Lubanga trial (July 8, 2010)
  16. Lubanga Witness Says He Was Paid US$200 To Tell Lies (February 8, 2010)
  17. UN Security Council renews arms embargo and sanctions in DR Congo (November 30, 2009)
  18. Activists say UN policy must change in DR Congo (November 25, 2009)
  19. ICC: Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui trial starts on Tuesday (November 23, 2009)
  20. UN mission in DR Congo denies Ntanganda's role in military operation (September 10, 2009)
  21. First Elements of Additional Troops to Reinforce MONUC Arrive in DRC (August 27, 2009)
  22. Senior UN peacekeeping official assesses DR Congo's prisons (July 22, 2009)
  23. Witness Claims Lubanga Visited Training Camp (June 5, 2009)
  24. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  25. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  26. End of Ebola outbreak (February 17, 2009)
  27. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)
  28. DRC Army Integrates Over 6,000 Rebels (January 29, 2009)
  29. Amnesty International: Laurent Nkunda and Bosco Ntaganda must face justice (January 28, 2009)
  30. Security Council tells UN Mission in DR Congo to step up protection of civilians (December 22, 2008)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.