Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
'Kisangani without arms' objective a success

Previous article | Next

Monuc - October 21, 2006 11:35 AM

Monuc - Kinsagani

The MONUC 'Kisangani without arms” objective, which was launched on Friday October 13 2006, has been a success to date, as the amount of unauthorised men with arms circulating the city has been drastically reduced, in the run up to the forthcoming election on October 29. 

The objective, which controls and verifies the presence of armed personnel in the city, particularly at night, comprises of joint patrols involving MONUC Military, Police and Security, as well as the Congolese National Police (PNC), the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) and the Formed Police Units (FPU).

According to MONUC Kisangani force commander Col. Edouard Mbengue, the overall objective is to ‘remove any source of potential tension or provocation’ in the city, in the pre and post electoral period.

“The plan was worked out in coordination with the FARDC and the PNC and involves night patrolling in the most troublesome areas of Kisangani, from midnight to 4am. MONUC military and the FPU patrol the most volatile areas, and it has proven a big success.”

Prior to this, an agreement was worked out between MONUC and the FARDC and Republican Guard commanders so that their respective elements would be confined to their barracks for the pre and post electoral period.

“We have also set in place mixed verification teams of MONUC military observers and FARDC personnel, to ensure that everyone is respecting this agreement. So far everybody is obeying these measures, and only those with prior authorization are allowed to circulate the city with arms,” Col. Mbengue explained.

“The local population is very happy with the new measures, and the level of nighttime violence and harassment in the city has decreased. We also plan a show of force in all areas of the city right before the elections to remind people that we will not tolerate any attempts at violent disruption of the forthcoming elections on October 29,” he concluded.

The Kisangani ‘city without arms’ objective is scheduled to be in operation up to the end of the post electoral period on November 20, but can be extended, depending on the prevailing security and political atmosphere.

This MONUC objective, following its success in both Kinshasa and Kisangani, is also planned to be extended to the eastern parts of the DRC in the near future.


Related articles


  1. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  2. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  3. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  4. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  5. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  6. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  7. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  8. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  9. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  10. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  11. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  12. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  13. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  14. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  15. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  16. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  17. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  18. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  19. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  20. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  21. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  22. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  23. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  24. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  25. Congo Army Advances On Rebels Holdout, Says Official (June 5, 2012)
  26. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  27. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  28. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  29. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  30. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.