|UN-Led Troops Clash with Militia in Eastern DRC|
VOA News - December 22, 2005
The United Nations says U.N. and Congolese troops have launched an offensive against a militia group in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
|Referendum: isolated incidents, Kofi Annan calls for large turnout|
MISNA - December 17, 2005
A convoy of the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI) was attacked yesterday by a group of militias in the Mahagi area, in the north-eastern district of Ituri, a few hours from the constitutional referendum. MISNA learned the news today from Radio Okapi of the United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC).
|Kabila Warns of Catastrophic Consequences of No Vote on Constitution|
VOA News - December 8, 2005
Congo's President Joseph Kabila said Thursday that his country's voters must accept a proposed post-war constitution later this month if elections are to be held in 2006.
|Thousands displaced as army attacks militias in northeast|
IRIN - November 17, 2005
Thousands of civilians are fleeing fighting that has been raging since Monday between the UN-backed Congolese army and local militias around the Semliki River in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)'s northeastern district of Ituri, an aid official said.
|43 dead in latest drive against rebels|
IRIN - November 17, 2005
In the latest joint UN-Congolese army military operation that started on Monday in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) military officers say at least 40 militiamen and three government soldiers have been killed and these figures are likely to rise.
|MONUC deploys into east DR of Congo where Ugandan-based soldiers briefly seen|
VOA News - November 9, 2005
The United Nations peacekeeping operation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) is assisting the country's troops in cordon and search missions in the troubled east, where Ugandan rebels have been sighted and into which Ugandan-based soldiers were reported to have crossed briefly last month.
|After massacres, UN finally bans "bad guys"|
MISNA - November 3, 2005
Former rebel commanders, leaders of armed factions backed by Rwanda and Uganda for control of the resources of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but also former ?government? generals and arms traffickers: some fifteen names were included in a list disclosed yesterday of those responsible for civilians massacres and violence in DR-Congo, to face punitive measures.
|Court sentences militia leader to 15 years imprisonment|
IRIN - October 28, 2005
A county court in the Democratic Republic of Congo's northeastern town of Bunia in Ituri District sentenced a local militia leader to 15 years imprisonment on Thursday for forgery and extorting money from the public.
|Ituri: Army regains control of gold mine area|
MISNA - October 23, 2005
Thirty-some militiamen of two different armed groups were killed by the armed forces in a series of operations aimed at regaining control of territory in the Ituri province, in the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
|Kampala seeks approval to redeploy troops to Congo|
IRIN - October 20, 2005
Uganda sought approval on Thursday from the Democratic Republic of Congo to redeploy troops into eastern Congo to hunt members of the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) who entered the country in September, Foreign Minister Sam Kutesa said.