Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says

Previous article | Next

Congo News Agency - February 10, 2014

Bosco Ntaganda at the ICC on 02.10.2014
Bosco Ntaganda at the ICC on 02.10.2014 | Enlarge
Former warlord Bosco Ntaganda attacked civilians because of their ethnicity in northeastern Congo's Ituri region, prosecutors said on Monday during a confirmation of charges hearing at the International Criminal Court.

Ntaganda “persecuted civilians on ethnic grounds, through deliberate attacks, forced displacement, murder, rape, sexual enslavement and pillaging,” Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda told pre-trial judges in The Hague.

After the hearings, the judges will decide whether or not to confirm the charges against the former warlod.

Rwandan-born Ntaganda became a general in the Congolese army as part of a peace deal signed between the government and CNDP rebels in 2009.

He had previously fought in the Rwandan army before becoming a commander in the Patriotic Forces for the Liberation of Congo militia operating in northeastern Congo and led by Thomas Lubanga.

The ICC first indicted Ntaganda in 2006, becoming one of its most wanted fugitives. New charges were added in 2012.

Prosecutors say that between 2002 and 2003, Ntaganda’s UPC/FPLC forces “encircled the towns and villages of the Lendu and other non-Hema tribes, shelled them, and then ethnically cleansed the areas by killing and raping civilians, forcing their displacement to the surrounding forests and eventually looting their property.”

Ntaganda has been charged with thirteen counts of war crimes and five counts of crimes against humanity.

The war crimes charges against him include the use of “child soldiers, pillaging, displacement of civilians, conscription of children under the age of 15, enlistment of children under the age of 15, use of children under the age of 15 to participate actively in hostilities.”

The crimes against humanity charges against him include “murder and attempted murder of civilians, rape of civilians, sexual slavery of civilians, persecution on ethnic grounds, and forcible transfer of population.”

Nicknamed the Terminator by his victims in the Ituri region in Orientale Province, he turned himself to the United States embassy in Kigali, Rwanda, on March 22, 2013, fleeing infighting in the M23 rebel group that former CNDP rebels formed in 2012 after the Congolese government decided to arrest Ntaganda.


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  5. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  6. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  7. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  8. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  9. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  10. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  11. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  12. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  13. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  14. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  15. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  17. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  18. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  19. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  21. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  22. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  23. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  24. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  25. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  26. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  27. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  28. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  29. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  30. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2017 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.