Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR

Previous article | Next
Nick Long/VOA News - April 1, 2015
Rwandan FDLR rebels in South Kivu Province in 2009
FDLR rebels in eastern Congo in 2009
Democratic Republic of Congo government forces, which launched an offensive against FDLR rebels in the east of the country a month ago, has been successful in driving the militants out of parts of North and South Kivu provinces, a military spokesman said.

Congolese army spokesman General Leon Richard Kasonga said during the weekend the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) - a Rwandan rebel movement whose presence in Congo dates back nearly 20 years - has been driven out of two dozen localities in North and South Kivu provinces.

Kasonga said the Congolese army had captured all its military objectives identified in its initial plan. He said they also "neutralized" 185 FDLR combatants, and other armed groups in the process.

Pursuing rebels

DRC Foreign Minister Raymond Tshibanda said last week the army is continuing to pursue the FDLR in the forests of eastern Congo.

A health worker at Kibirizi, located on the edge of the vast Virunga forest where many of the FDLR are hiding, told VOA there has been fighting nearby and one place General Kasonga mentioned, Kahumiro, is still off limits to civilians.

The health worker said there has been a lot of shooting, and he does not know if the FDLR has been dispersed, but there is still a sense of insecurity in the forest and on certain roads.

Jason Ntawiha, a local spokesman for the ethnic Hutu community, said the offensive has had limited impact around Kiwanja, another town inside the zone of operations.

Ntawiha said the people expected more of an impact by the military offensive. He said people had hoped the rebels would be completely neutralized. Instead, he said the operation appears to have stalled, rebels are still occupying the positions they held before, and there has been an upsurge in kidnappings and banditry.

The FDLR is one of about 30 armed groups active in eastern Congo.

Ntawiha is concerned the other armed groups have not been targeted by the offensive.

In some areas VOA visited, the FDLR forces are still visibly in control. One such area is near Kanyabayonga, in Lubero territory.

The FDLR did not want to give interviews or pose for photos, but they allowed VOA to pass through and talk to area residents.

One resident, in speaking with a driver for VOA, said a local FDLR commander was having a drink in a bar just a few yards away.

At the village of Birundule, a local official said he had to collaborate with the FDLR, and a local chief said while the rebels were taxing the population, they otherwise were not causing trouble.

Causing trouble

However, a villager, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told VOA the FDLR is causing trouble elsewhere.

The villager confirmed reports that, increasingly, the FDLR’s tactic is not to loot villages where they are living, but to go and loot villages some distance away. The villager said people in Birundule are ready for the Congolese army to recapture the village.

Birundule is an example of FDLR "governance." About 50 people from a neighboring village, FDLR-controlled Buleusa, have fled to Kanyabayonga in the past few weeks. They said the FDLR replaced the local chief, and about a dozen young men who opposed the rebels have disappeared.

On Wednesday local radio reported FDLR rebels killed five people in the same area, including a chief and two of his sons.

The DRC army is pursuing its offensive alone, after the U.N. mission in Congo refused to participate because of alleged human rights violations by two Congolese generals, who are leading the push.

Meanwhile, MONUSCO chief Martin Kobler called for collaboration to begin again between the DRC government and the U.N. mission in the anti-FDLR offensive.


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  4. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  5. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  6. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  7. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  8. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  9. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  10. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  11. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  13. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  14. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  15. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  16. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  17. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  18. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  19. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  21. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  22. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  23. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  24. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  26. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  27. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  28. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  29. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2017 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.