Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN 'lied' in report on Bas-Congo killings - govt

Previous article | Next




KINSHASA, 18 June 2008 (IRIN) - The government of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has dismissed as "mendacious" a UN report that accused police of killing 100 civilians in Bas-Congo province.

On 13 June, the UN mission in DRC, MONUC, released a report following an investigation into the actions of a contingent of Kinshasa-based police against members of the Bundu dia Kongo sect in several areas of Bas-Congo. The report said at least 100 people, most of them sect members, had been killed on 28 February.

"It is a mendacious report," government spokesman Emile Bongeli told IRIN on 17 June.

"While we congratulate MONUC for taking the trouble to shed light on the situation in Congo, we sadly deplore the overly partial, overly tendentious nature of this report and the casualness of its authors who relied on conditional premises to arrive at conclusions that could seriously undermine the credibility the DRC is painfully and very patiently trying to restore," he added.

"According to government figures, there were 27 gunshot fatalities and these are identified individuals, unlike the 100 imaginary people whom MONUC cannot identify," added Bongeli.

"They made their report as if they simply wanted to condemn the government. They made no mention of the troubles sown by this sect, which they placed on the same footing as the loyal forces," he added, in reference to the police.

When contacted, MONUC declined to comment on the government's reaction.

The killings in Bas-Congo came in the wake of skirmishes between police and
Bundu dia Kongo members. The sect contests the results of a general election held in 2006, and its members have occasionally lowered the national flag on public buildings and replaced it with their own. The sect has set up its own courts and meted out corporal punishment on those convicted.

The MONUC report also held the police responsible for the destruction of more than 200 buildings, including the houses of sect members, and also those of people who had no affiliation with the group.

It also said that more than 150 sect members had been arrested and many of them tortured or subjected to cruel and degrading treatment.

Many sect members have been tried and convicted. Four received death sentences while others were given jail terms ranging from two months to 20 years.

The MONUC report recommended that the judicial authorities in DRC open their own investigation into the events in Bas-Congo and that those guilty of serious abuses be brought to trial.


Related articles


  1. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  2. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  3. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  4. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  5. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  6. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  7. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  8. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  9. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  10. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  11. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  12. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  13. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  14. Ban Ki-moon inaugurates new phase of UN mission in DR Congo (July 1, 2010)
  15. Congo Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Independence (June 30, 2010)
  16. Top UN envoy bids farewell to first batch of blue helmets leaving DR Congo (June 16, 2010)
  17. Veteran United States diplomat appointed to top UN post in DR Congo (June 9, 2010)
  18. Top UN officials urge inquiry into killing of Congolese human rights activist (June 3, 2010)
  19. UN to reduce DR Congo peace force (May 28, 2010)
  20. Security Council agrees to convert UN mission in DR Congo into stabilization force (May 28, 2010)
  21. U.S. Official Sees Improvement in Africa's Great Lakes Region (May 26, 2010)
  22. Back from DR Congo, Security Council set to review mandate of UN force (May 17, 2010)
  23. Security Council members depart for two-day visit to DR Congo (May 13, 2010)
  24. UN chief warns against early withdrawal from DR Congo (April 30, 2010)
  25. U.N. Security Council Cancels Congo Trip (April 16, 2010)
  26. DR Congo army regains control of Mbandaka (April 4, 2010)
  27. Enyele rebels enter major city in Equateur province (April 4, 2010)
  28. Behind Human Rights Watch Report on LRA, a Plea for MONUC to Remain in the Congo (March 29, 2010)
  29. New strategy needed against LRA in DR Congo, says UN chief (March 28, 2010)
  30. UN mission in DR Congo vows continued support for army (March 24, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.