Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels

Previous article | Next

UN News Centre - November 28, 2012

MONUSCO peacekeepers evacuate children following the capture of Goma in the DR Congo by M23
MONUSCO peacekeepers evacuate children following the capture of Goma in the DR Congo by M23 rebels. Photo: MONUSCO | Enlarge
The Security Council today extended the arms embargo and other sanctions imposed against armed rebel groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), while expressing its intention to consider additional targeted sanctions against the leadership of the M23, the rebel fighters that recently occupied the eastern provincial capital of Goma.

In a unanimously adopted resolution, the Council extended until 1 February 2014, the sanctions that were first introduced in 2003 as the DRC reached the end of a brutal civil war that engulfed the vast country on and off for five years and is estimated to have killed as many as five million people.

The sanctions comprise an arms embargo against armed groups that are not part of the Government’s integrated army or police units following the end of the civil war, and also a travel ban and asset freeze against individuals or entities that have violated the embargo or are otherwise designated.

The Council also requested Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to renew the mandate of the group of experts monitoring these measures until 1 February 2014.

The resolution also contained strong condemnation of the M23 soldiers, who mutinied from the DRC national army in April, and which occupied Goma, the capital of North Kivu, last week after launching a new wave of attacks that have uprooted more than 140,000 civilians.

The Council demanded that the M23 and other armed groups “cease immediately all forms of violence and other destabilizing activities” and reiterated its demand that any and all outside support to the M23 stop without delay.

It also expressed its intention to consider additional targeted sanctions against the M23 leadership, those providing external support to the group, and those who violate the sanctions regime and the arms embargo.

Last night the Council was briefed in a closed-door session by Chef de Cabinet Susana Malcorra and Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Hervé Ladsous on the latest developments in eastern DRC.

Mr. Ban sent Ms. Malcorra to the region last week as his personal emissary to maintain contact and dialogue with key actors. With the agreement of the leaders of the DRC, Rwanda and Uganda, she met Sultani Makenga, the head of the M23’s military wing, to convey the Secretary-General’s concerns about the deteriorating humanitarian situation as well as reported human rights violations. She encouraged him to stop the fighting and pursue his objective through political dialogue and lay down the arms.

Mr. Ladsous told reporters after the Council session that there are “indications” that M23 elements were possibly starting to withdraw from Goma, but that these reports still needed to be confirmed. Meanwhile, the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO) is still in control of the airport in Goma and continues daily patrols throughout the city.

MONUSCO reported today that there are signs that the M23 are preparing to withdraw from Goma, in accordance with terms of the communiqué from the weekend meeting of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).

“However, the Mission reports that there is not yet any major movement by M23 out of Goma,” UN spokesperson Eduardo del Buey told reporters, adding that the situation in the city is relatively calm.

The UN today dispatched its chief military adviser, General Babacar Gaye, to the Great Lakes region to discuss with stakeholders a number of issues that came out of the recent ICGLR meeting, such as the implementation of the 20-kilometre Neutral Zone to which the M23 is supposed to withdraw and the concept of the International Neutral Force.


Related articles


  1. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  2. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  3. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  4. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  5. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  6. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  7. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  8. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  9. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  10. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  11. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  12. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  13. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  14. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  15. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  16. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  17. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  18. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  19. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  21. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  23. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  24. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  25. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  26. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  27. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  28. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  29. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  30. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.