Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes | |
Radio Okapi - October 25, 2013 | |
![]() | DR Congo's army took control of the center of Kibumba on Friday after fighting broke out early in the morning with M23 rebels. The area had been completely occupied by the rebels before the fighting began in the territory of Nyiragongo, in North Kivu province. |
Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda | |
Radio Okapi - August 31, 2013 | |
![]() | U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon confirmed in a statement that the M23 rebels were responsible for firing shells into Rwanda, despite claims by Rwandan authorities that DR Congo's army was to blame. |
Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' | |
BBC News - July 31, 2013 | |
![]() | Four Rwandans have told the BBC the army forcibly recruited them to fight for the M23 rebel group in neighbouring eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The four said they were seeking asylum in Uganda after fleeing the fighting. |
UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum | |
UN News Centre - July 30, 2013 | |
![]() | The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the DR Congo announced that it will, for the first time, use its intervention brigade to enforce a security zone around the flashpoint city of Goma in the eastern part of the country, giving rebels 48 hours to disarm. |
UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region | |
UN News Centre - July 25, 2013 | |
![]() | The Security Council today restated its commitment to the United Nations-brokered peace accord for Africa’s strife-torn Great Lakes region and demanded an immediate end to hostilities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. |
Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo | |
Robert Esaki - July 24, 2013 | |
![]() | The Congolese army hit deep into M23 rebels’ territory on Wednesday as three attack helicopters bombed the strategic military base at Rumangabo, located 50 kilometers north of Goma, and one of the biggest M23 bases in the region. |
M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch | |
Human Rights Watch - July 22, 2013 | |
![]() | M23 rebels have summarily executed at least 44 people and raped at least 61 women and girls since March 2013 in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Local residents and rebel deserters reported recent forced recruitment of men and boys by the M23 in both Rwanda and Congo. |
120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says | |
VOA News - July 15, 2013 | |
![]() | The Democratic Republic of Congo says its forces have killed 120 rebels and captured another dozen in fighting in North Kivu province. Government spokesman Lambert Mende said Monday that about 10 army soldiers have died in the fighting north of Goma, the provincial capital. |
Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC | |
VOA News - March 26, 2013 | |
![]() | After years of fleeing justice, Bosco Ntaganda finally appeared before the ICC to start a lengthy process to decide whether to press war crime charges against him. Ntaganda made his first appearance before the International Criminal Court in The Hague. |
Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda | |
Congo News Agency - March 18, 2013 | |
![]() | The US said on Monday that warlord Bosco Ntaganda has turned himself in at its embassy in Kigali and asked to be transferred to the International Criminal Court, where he is wanted on seven counts of war crimes and three counts of crimes against humanity. |