Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
News | Armed Groups


Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch

Human Rights Watch - June 4, 2012

Bosco NtagandaRwandan military officials have been arming and supporting the mutiny in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo of Gen. Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court. Rwandan military officials have allowed Ntaganda to enter Rwanda and supplied him with new recruits, weapons, and ammunition.
ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader

International Criminal Court - May 14, 2012

Luis Moreno-OcampoThe Office of the Prosecutor has requested two new arrest warrants. The first one relates to Bosco Ntaganda for the crimes committed as a top commander of Thomas Lubanga's militia, the UPC/FPLC. The second was filed against a leader of one of the most active militia in the Kivu provinces, Sylvestre Mudacumura, the Supreme Commander of the FDLR-FOCA.
Controversy over "conflict minerals" law

IRIN - August 2, 2011

Big business... But little of the hundreds of millions of dollars generated annually by DRC's mineral sector ends up in stateMajor industries are seeking to alter the proposed US reporting rules on “conflict minerals” mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In a bid to stem the flow of money from minerals mined in eastern Congo, widely seen as fuelling the ongoing conflicts, the US government included a clause in the financial reform legislation of July 2010, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo

UN News - June 28, 2011

United Nations Security CouncilThe Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo for a year, with the force now scheduled to stay at least until 30 June 2012. The Council resolution, adopted unanimously, “reaffirms that the protection of civilians must be given priority” by the mission MONUSCO, which last year succeeded an earlier mission known as MONUC.
Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections

Human Rights Watch - June 9, 2011

Goma - MONUCThe United Nations Security Council should ensure that the UN mission in Congo has adequate and appropriate resources to protect civilians from attacks by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and to avert election-related violence, a coalition of 47 international and Congolese organizations said today.
Opportunity for change in eastern Congo's mines must be seized

Global Witness - May 18, 2011

Sacks of tin ore being loaded onto a plane near Bisie, for transportation to Goma.Shifts in the control of eastern Congo's mines have created opportunities to begin breaking the links between the mineral trade and the conflict that has plagued civilians for over a decade, says a new report from Global Witness today.
New Law Aims to Halt Sale of Conflict Minerals

Heather Murdock | VOA News - April 18, 2011

A gold miner scoops mud while digging an open pit at the Chudja mine in the Kilomoto concession near the village of Kobu, 100 km (62 miles) from Bunia in north-eastern Congo,In the Congolese countryside, there is said to be $24 trillion worth of precious minerals like tantalum, tungsten, gold and tin. They are used to make everything from light bulbs to airplanes, and have long funded the conflict in the country’s tumultuous eastern provinces.
Plight of the Congo Is Focus of U.S. Congress Hearing

chrissmith.house.gov - March 8, 2011

Actor Ben Affleck testifies about violence in eastern Congo at U.S. Congress hearing led by Rep. Chris SmithThe tragedy and hopes for peace in the Congo was the focus of a hearing held today by U.S. Rep. Chris Smith (NJ-04), Chairman of the House Africa, Global Health and Human Rights Subcommittee. Actor Ben Affleck testified about the work of the Eastern Congo Initiative, including his travel to the DRC.
Mining ban fails to end armed control of trade, says Global Witness

Global Witness - March 4, 2011

Global WitnessThe Congolese government's decision this week to lift a ban on the mining and export of minerals from the country's eastern provinces is long overdue, says Global Witness today. The campaign group questioned what has been achieved since restrictions were imposed nearly six months ago.
Foreign 'gold smugglers' arrested in eastern Congo

BBC News - February 7, 2011

Congo goldEight foreigners - from the US, France and Nigeria - have been arrested on allegations of gold smuggling in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, officials say. "Millions of dollars" and 436kg of gold were seized, the local governor said.







Examples: Kabila | Tshisekedi | Kinshasa | Mazembe


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.