Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman

Previous article | Next

Radio Okapi - July 19, 2013

Information Minister Lambert Mende
Government spokesman Lambert Mende Omalanga (File photo) | Enlarge
The significant progress made recently by the Congolese army against the M23 rebels in eastern Congo is due to the support of the government, Media Minister and government spokesman Lambert Mende said on Friday during a press conference.

This support has helped the Congolese Armed Forces, known by their French acronym FARDC, take back more than a dozen positions formerly occupied by “enemy forces,” Mr. Mende said.

“The government has met their expectations in equipment, salaries, food, health, and evacuation of those wounded for treatment,” Mr. Mende said.

He also praised the support of the UN peacekeeping mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO) in the success of the FARDC.

He said that the M23 rebels supported by Rwanda were in disarray in North Kivu province.

The Congolese government announced on Monday that more than 120 M23 rebels had been killed since the resumption of hostilities on Sunday in Mutaho, located 10 kilometers from Goma, the provincial capital, between the FARDC and the M23.

No other figures have been provided since, and no confirmation could be obtained from the M23 or from independent sources.

However, Mr. Mende remains cautious and called on the military to continue to fight to win the war.

“Winning a battle does not mean winning the war. The war will be won the day the entire territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo will have no more elements of negative forces left, and no elements of their Rwandan partners in arms,” he said.

Mr. Mende also condemned the excesses of some FARDC soldiers who desecrated the corpses of M23 rebels killed in battle.

“Investigations were ordered by the head of state. They quickly led to the arrest of an officer so that he may be brought to justice.” He announced to this effect the arrest of Lieutenant Solomo Bangala of the 391st battalion who was accused of desecrating the corpses of M23 rebels.

On Wednesday, the Secretary General of the UN, Ban Ki-moon urged the DRC to prosecute Congolese soldiers accused of desecrating the corpses of M23 rebels and mistreating those taken prisoner.

Mr. Mende also announced the start of the second wave of the voluntary recruitment of  young Congolese into the army.


Source: Radio Okapi


Related articles


  1. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  2. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  3. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  4. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  5. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  6. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  7. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  8. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  9. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  10. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  11. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  12. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  13. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  14. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  15. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  16. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  17. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  18. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  19. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  20. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  21. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  23. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  24. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  26. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  27. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  28. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  29. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  30. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2017 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.