Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting

Previous article | Next

Radio Okapi - August 22, 2013

Congo army soldiers around Goma
Congo army soldiers around Goma | Enlarge
Dozens of M23 rebels have been killed and twelve others captured since Wednesday during renewed fighting between the rebels and the Congolese Armed Forces, known as FARDC. According to military sources in the area, the FARDC also recovered three heavy weapons during these clashes.

The fighting intensified Thursday in the area between northern Kibati and southern Kibumba, commonly called "Three antennas." Local sources indicate that shells probably fired by the M23 rebels fell into the Bugarura village,  in the Munigi area located south of Kibati.  A child and a woman were killed and five civilians injured by the explosion.

People may have fled the area between Kibati and Kanyaruchina, where only soldiers in operation were visible.

MONUSCO sources accompanying the FARDC in the combat zone said, without giving further details, that the situation is under the control of the army.

Both sides accused each other, as is often the case, of starting the clashes that have paralyzed the traffic between Goma and Rutshuru.

A FARDC officer quoted by the AFP news agency accused the rebels of trying to dislodge the army from positions it occupied since mid-July in Kibati.

Asked by the same source, Major Modeste Bahati, an intelligence officer for the M23 rebels confirmed the fighting and accused the army of attacking their positions.

In a statement released on Wednesday, the United Nations Mission in DR Congo, known as MONUSCO, acknowledged the renewed fighting between the FARDC and the M23 in Kibati.

The UN mission said that areas occupied by civilians as well as UN peacekeepers were indiscriminately affected by mortar fire.

“I have given the order to MONUSCO forces to respond and take the necessary measures to protect civilians and prevent any advance by the M23,” said the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for

 DR Congo and head of MONUSCO, Martin Kobler.

After about two months of truce, fighting resumed between the Congolese army and the M23 rebels in mid-July. In the early days, the government announced the deaths of 120 rebels and 10 soldiers. Since then, there has been sporadic fighting but no major troop movements around the Kibati-Mutaho-axis.

MONUSCO has warned the M23 rebels it will use “lethal force” if they try to advance towards Goma. The UN mission has an intervention brigade that has received a mandate from the UN Security Council to neutralize armed groups in eastern DR Congo, including the M23 rebels.


Source: Radio Okapi


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  4. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  5. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  6. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  7. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  8. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  9. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  10. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  11. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  13. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  14. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  15. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  16. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  17. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  18. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  19. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  21. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  22. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  23. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  24. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  26. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  27. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  28. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  29. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2017 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.