Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Mining ban fails to end armed control of trade, says Global Witness

Previous article | Next

Global Witness - March 4, 2011

Global Witness

The Congolese government's decision this week to lift a ban on the mining and export of minerals from the country's eastern provinces is long overdue, said Global Witness today. The campaign group questioned what has been achieved since restrictions were imposed nearly six months ago and raised concerns that the government has failed to put in place a comprehensive strategy to remove military and rebel involvement in the mining sector. Designed to halt the trade in conflict minerals, the ban has brought no decrease in illegal control of the trade by armed groups, including the Congolese national army.

Investigations carried out by Global Witness in 2010 revealed that armed groups, in particular former rebels now integrated into the national army, have made tens of millions of dollars per year by illegally taxing the trade in cassiterite (tin ore), coltan, wolframite and gold in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. According to recent reports from NGOs and journalists in Congo, illegal taxation by armed groups may have increased during the ban as elements within the military tightened their grip on the minerals trade and smuggling intensified.

"The ban has not only failed to tackle the conflict minerals problem head on, it might have made the situation worse,” said Annie Dunnebacke of Global Witness. “Civilians in mining communities have had to deal with increased hardship during this period, while little has been done by the government to dislodge the military from the mines."

Stockpiled minerals will be cleared for export once the ban is lifted on March 10, followed by goods mined and tagged at sites meeting certain traceability standards, meant to exclude minerals that have benefited armed groups. Sites that may be given the green light include mines participating in industry-led schemes and several newly-built centres de négoce, or trading hubs. Global Witness is calling for the Congolese authorities and UN peacekeeping forces to ensure that these centres and the transportation routes connecting them to mine sites are protected and free of interference or extortion by rebels or army units. Otherwise, they risk become laundering centres for conflict minerals.

There is concern that industry-led mineral bagging and tagging initiatives being piloted at certain mine sites in eastern Congo will not address the problem of illegal taxation of minerals by warring parties, and will fail to meet supply chain due diligence standards set last year by the OECD and the UN Security Council for companies sourcing minerals from the region, as well as the requirements of a new US law.

“Soldiers illegally taxing miners at the roadside don’t generally hand out receipts – nor do they need to interfere with a tagging system in order to extort money,” Dunnebacke explained. “If companies buying these minerals don’t put in place credible measures to find out who is benefiting from the trade, minerals bagged and tagged in compliance with industry schemes will continue to fund armed groups, with harmful consequences, and will not meet international standards.”

Members of the international community that have recently endorsed due diligence guidelines, including major aid donors to Congo such as the US, the UK and Belgium, now need to monitor and enforce their implementation by companies in their jurisdiction. The Rwandan government, in particular, has done very little to address the fact that the country acts as a laundering hub for conflict minerals coming out of eastern Congo.

“Rigorous due diligence on minerals entering Rwanda would help stop the conflict minerals trade in its tracks. Kagame’s government must acknowledge the role the country has been playing in facilitating the conflict trade, and compel local traders to implement internationally recognised due diligence standards.”


Related articles


  1. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  2. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  3. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  4. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  5. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  6. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  7. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  8. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  9. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  10. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  13. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  14. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  15. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  16. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  17. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  18. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  19. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  20. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  21. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  22. UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)
  23. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  24. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  25. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  26. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  27. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  28. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  29. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  30. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.