Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Pictures Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Rwanda gives DR Congo back tonnes of smuggled minerals

Previous article | Next

BBC News - November 3, 2011

Big business... But little of the hundreds of millions of dollars generated annually by DRC's mineral sector ends up in state coffers
Conflict minerals have frequently been considered one of the leading causes of armed violence in eastern DRC (file photo)
About 82 tonnes of smuggled minerals seized by Rwandan police has been handed back to the Democratic Republic of Congo in a sign of improved relations between the two neighbours.

The minerals include cassiterite, or tin ore, as well as coltan, used in devices such as mobile phones.

The return of the materials follows new international regulations aimed at cleaning up the mineral sector.

DR Congo's mineral wealth has been a major factor in years of conflict.

Armed groups - local and foreign - have seized control of many mines in the east, bordering Rwanda and few Congolese have benefited from their country's vast mineral wealth.

Rwanda has twice invaded DR Congo saying it was fighting rebel groups based there but its army has been accused of looting minerals during the conflict in which an estimated five million people died.

Rwanda's Natural Resources Minister Stanislas Kamanzi handed the minerals - loaded in five lorries - to Congolese authorities at a ceremony in the border town of Gisenye.

BBC East Africa correspondent Will Ross says the handover is a sign of the greatly improved relations between two countries that have often been bitter enemies.

'Conflict-free'

"I think it [reflects] the spirit of cooperation between the two countries," DR Congo mining ministry adviser, Paul Mabolia Yenga, told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

Rwanda's deputy director of natural resources Michael Biryabarema said Kigali wanted to end perceptions that it benefited from illegal mining in DR Congo.

"It's a lie that has gone for a long time," he said.

He said Rwanda and DR Congo would work together to strengthen their mining sectors.

"We are more interested in... the development of our industry, bilateral relations and the establishment of proper trade relations," Mr Biryabarema said.

Rwanda has for years been a major conduit for conflict minerals from DR Congo, correspondents say.

It long denied any involvement but now supports efforts to make the trade more transparent.

Any seized minerals without the sign would be returned, Mr Biryabarema said.

"I think we've set a precedent... but preferably they will not be allowed into the country if they have not been tagged," Mr Biryabarema said.

The landlocked country has mineral deposits within its own borders and wants to label them conflict-free, our correspondent says.

But as Rwanda stands to lose out on vast revenues from the trade in Congo some analysts question just how rigorous the authorities there will be.

Earlier this week, a website was launched to promote transparency in the Congolese mining sector.

The Carter Center said www.congomines.org would give people more information about the mining sector, including contracts and payments.

Hundreds of mining documents and maps will be published on the site, it said.

But Congolese state-owned mining giant Gecamines would not release confidential contracts without the permission of its joint venture partners, CEO Kalej Nkand said, Reuters news agency reports.

"The proposed publication of these contracts has no legal basis. It is doubtful that our partners would consent to it," he is quoted as saying.


Related articles


  1. Congo Improves Natural Resources Accounting (July 4, 2014)
  2. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  3. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  4. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  5. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  6. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  7. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  8. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  9. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  10. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  12. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  13. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  14. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  15. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  16. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  17. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  18. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  19. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  20. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  21. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  22. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  24. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  25. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  26. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  27. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  28. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  29. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  30. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
 


Make Congo Planet Your Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Contact Us | About Us | Version en Francais | French Edition

© 2014 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.