Human Rights Watch Details Summary Executions in DRC
VOA News - December 12, 2008
U.S.-based Human Rights Watch has described in chilling detail an attack last month in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in which about 150 people were killed not far from a U.N. peacekeeping base.
The human rights group says most of those killed in Kiwanja on November 4 and 5 were shot or hacked to death by ethnic Tutsi rebels after the rebels repulsed an attack by pro-government militia.
It says the rebels broke into homes and killed men and teenage boys during an operation against militia combatants and sympathizers.
The report calls the attack the worst killing spree in North Kivu province in two years.
A U.N. spokeswoman says the report unfairly minimizes the efforts of U.N. peacekeepers in the region to protect civilians. She said fewer than 150 peacekeepers are trying to protect 60,000 people in two adjacent towns in the area, often at great risk to themselves.
Human Rights Watch says the violence shows why the European Union should urgently send troops to help U.N. peacekeepers in the volatile eastern DRC.
The HRW report is based on more than 130 interviews with victims, witnesses, U.N. peacekeepers and rebel forces.
It was issued as talks involving a rebel delegation and Congolese government officials in Kenya appeared to have stalled.
U.N. mediator Olusegun Obasanjo says the rebels at the meetings do not have enough decision-making power.
Congolese rebels who renewed an offensive in late October say they are fighting to protect the area's Tutsi minority from Rwandan Hutu militia who entered the region after the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
Government officials in Rwanda are denying information in a draft U.N. report asserting that Rwandan authorities are backing the rebels. Congolese government officials are denying information in the same report that their army backs the Hutu extremists.
- Constitutional Court Declares Tshisekedi Winner of Presidential Election (January 19, 2019)
- DR Congo Delays Results of December Election (January 6, 2019)
- Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
- Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
- DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
- Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
- Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
- Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
- Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
- Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
- New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
- Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
- DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
- No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
- Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
- Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
- Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
- Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
- Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
- Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
- Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
- U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
- Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
- Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
- DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
- M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
- Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
- UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
- Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
- UN mission sets up security zone in eastern DR Congo, gives rebels 48 hour ultimatum (July 30, 2013)