Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
News | United Nations Security Council


UN Security Council calls for urgent action over mass DR Congo rape

BBC News - August 26, 2010

Ban Ki-moonThe UN has said everything possible must be done to prevent atrocities like the recent rape of more than 150 women and children in the DR Congo. In an emergency session of the Security Council, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Congolese authorities had to fully investigate what had happened. The Council also said peacekeepers in the area should have done more to protect local people from rebels.
Ban Ki-moon inaugurates new phase of UN mission in DR Congo

UN News - July 1, 2010

Ban Ki-moonFrom today, the UN mission will be known as the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO) and will stay in the DRC only until 30 June next year. Last month, the Security Council passed a resolution authorizing the withdrawal of up to 2,000 UN military personnel – from an existing strength of 19,815 – by today from areas where security has improved enough to allow their removal.
UN chief arrives in DR Congo to attend events marking independence anniversary

UN News - June 29, 2010

Joseph Kabila and Ban Ki-moonSecretary-General Ban Ki-moon is scheduled to take part in a gala dinner tonight in the capital, Kinshasa, which is being hosted by Joseph Kabila, the President of the DRC. He will also hold a bilateral meeting with Mr. Kabila and other heads of State during his visit.
Top UN envoy bids farewell to first batch of blue helmets leaving DR Congo

UN News - June 16, 2010

Alan DossThe Security Council last month agreed to transform the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (MONUC) into a stabilization mission in the coming weeks, authorizing the withdrawal of up to 2,000 UN military personnel – from an existing strength of 19,815 – by 30 June from areas where security has improved enough to allow their removal.
UN to reduce DR Congo peace force

BBC News - May 28, 2010

MONUCThe UN Security Council has voted to authorise the withdrawal of up to 2,000 peacekeepers from the Democratic Republic of Congo by 30 June. However, it has delayed a decision on the full withdrawal of its 20,500-strong force, as sought by Congolese President Joseph Kabila, to next year.
Security Council agrees to convert UN mission in DR Congo into stabilization force

UN News - May 28, 2010

Un Security CouncilThe Security Council today extended the current mandate of the United Nations peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of the Congo by one month and agreed to transform the operation so that from then on it becomes a stabilization mission.
Back from DR Congo, Security Council set to review mandate of UN force

UN News - May 17, 2010

Joseph Kabila with members of the UN Security CouncilNoting that substantial progress had been made since deployment of the mission, known as MONUC, in 1999, Ambassador Gerard Araud of France said that members “recognize that the situation remains fragile and that therefore any development of the UN presence should be done gently to avoid further instability.”
Security Council members depart for two-day visit to DR Congo

UN News - May 13, 2010

Un Security CouncilDuring the two-day visit, which was postponed from earlier this year due to the disruptions to air travel caused by the Icelandic volcano eruption, the Council will hold talks with President Joseph Kabila and his key ministers.
U.N. Security Council Cancels Congo Trip

Congo News Agency - April 16, 2010

Un Security CouncilThe United Nations Security Council cancelled a trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Friday due to ash cloud from an Icelandic volcano that has caused air travel disruptions across Europe since Thursday.

Behind Human Rights Watch Report on LRA, a Plea for MONUC to Remain in the Congo

Congo News Agency - March 29, 2010

MONUCThe release of this report just as the Security Council is set to respond to a request by Congolese authorities for the United Nations to withdraw its peacekeeping force in the DRC by June 2011 is no coincidence. In reading the report, one quickly realizes that behind the reported facts lies a plea for MONUC to remain in the DRC.







Examples: Kabila | Tshisekedi | Kinshasa | Mazembe


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.