UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season | |
UN News Service - December 1, 2010 | |
![]() | The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has deployed troops as a preventive measure in Orientale Province ahead of the end-of-year holiday season, which has in the past seen increased attacks by illegal armed groups. |
UN Report: CNDP, Congolese Soldiers Involved in Illegal Mining Operations | |
Congo News Agency - November 30, 2010 | |
![]() | A report by a group of experts monitoring UN sanctions on the Democratic Republic of Congo has implicated former CNDP soldiers, now part of the Congolese Armed Forces, in the illegal exploitation of mineral resources in eastern Congo. The report says that “units of the former Congrès national pour la défense du peuple (CNDP) in FARDC have gained military control over most of the strategic areas rich in natural resources in the Kivus, presenting a challenge to their integration into FARDC.” |
UN Security Council renews DR Congo sanctions | |
UN News Service - November 29, 2010 | |
![]() | The Security Council today extended for another year the arms embargo and other sanctions it imposed on the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and requested Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to renew the mandate of the group of experts tasked with monitoring the measures. |
FDLR leader Callixte Mbarushimana arrested in France on ICC warrant | |
ICC - October 11, 2010 | |
![]() | In accordance with the warrant of arrest issued under seals by the judges of the International Criminal Court on 28 September, 2010, the French authorities arrested Mr Callixte Mbarushimana, suspected of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in the Kivu provinces, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. |
Government Suspends Mining in Three Eastern Congo Provinces | |
Congo News Agency - September 12, 2010 | |
![]() | President Joseph Kabila announced on Thursday night that he was suspending all mining operations around Walikale, North Kivu province, during a speech at a banquet in Goma attended by local authorities and representatives of the civil society. The Minister of Mining, Martin Kabwelulu, said in a press release on Saturday that the suspension will be extended to all mining operations in North Kivu, South Kivu and Maniema provinces. |
UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims | |
BBC News - September 7, 2010 | |
![]() | UN peacekeepers have "failed" the victims of mass rape in eastern DR Congo, a senior UN official has said. Atul Khare told the Security Council that the scale of systematic rape by armed rebels was far worse than feared. Atul Khare told the Security Council that the scale of systematic rape by armed rebels was far worse than feared. |
Key excerpts from UN report on Rwandan army genocide in DR Congo | |
BBC News - August 27, 2010 | |
![]() | The systematic attacks, in particular killings and massacres perpetrated against members of the Hutu ethnic group, are described extensively in section I of the report. These attacks resulted in a very large number of victims, probably tens of thousands of members of the Hutu ethnic group, all nationalities combined. |
Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base | |
Radio Okapi - August 20, 2010 | |
![]() | Two people suspected of involvement in an attack on a United Nations peacekeeping base in Kirumba, North Kivu, on Wednesday were arrested in Lubero on Thursday by the Congolese army. |
President Kabila Pays Respects to Sange Victims | |
Congo News Agency - July 5, 2010 | |
![]() | President Joseph Kabila arrived in Bukavu on Monday morning and went straight from Kavumu airport to the bedsides of the victims of Friday night oil tanker explosion in Sange, who had been transferred to hospitals in the capital of South Kivu province. |
Two Days of Mourning Declared after 235 Die from Oil Tanker Explosion | |
Congo News Agency - July 4, 2010 | |
![]() | President Jospeh Kabila has declared two days of mourning following the death of 235 people in an oil tanker truck explosion in eastern Congo. In a speech to the nation on Sunday, president Kabila said that the Congolese flag will fly at half-mast on Monday and Tuesday to honor the memory of those who lost their lives on Friday night in the town of Sange, near Uvira. |