UN and European security forces vigilant ahead of presidential run-off | |
IRIN - October 24, 2006 | |
![]() | As presidential rivals Joseph Kabila and Jean-Pierre Bemba prepare for an electoral run-off in the Congo on Sunday, the two international forces in charge of security during the polls, say they are ready to quell any violence that erupts. |
EU Boosts Troop Level in DRC Ahead of Run-Off Vote | |
VOA News - October 20, 2006 | |
![]() | The European Union plans to bring more peacekeeping troops to Kinshasa ahead of Congo's upcoming presidential run-off election.A spokesman for the EU peacekeeping force in Congo, Thierry Fusalba, says about 200 German and Dutch soldiers will be moved in from Gabon and deployed next week. |
Presidential hopefuls agree to disarm for next election | |
IRIN - September 25, 2006 | |
![]() | Senior aides to the two candidates running for president in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have agreed to make Kinshasa a weapons-free zone to ensure that the fighting that followed the first-round results in August is not repeated. |
EU: Kabila and Bemba 'could meet' today | |
Monuc - September 13, 2006 | |
![]() | According to Javier Solana, the European Union high representative for foreign affairs , the two DRC presidential candidates could meet within the framework of the meeting of the Higher Council of the Defense, planned for this Wednesday September 13. |
MONUC remains concerned with large number of arms circulating in Kinshasa | |
Monuc - September 13, 2006 | |
![]() | At the weekly MONUC press conference this Wednesday September 13, MONUC stated that it remains concerned with the large number of arms, and men with arms circulating in Kinshasa, as the second round of presidential elections approaches. |
Mbeki, Solana bolster process for second-round polls | |
IRIN - September 12, 2006 | |
![]() | South African President Thabo Mbeki began discussions on Monday with the two presidential finalists about the run-off election due next month in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). |
CIAT calls for the reduction and billeting of the forces of both presidential candidates | |
Monuc - September 11, 2006 | |
![]() | The second round of the presidential election, as well as the provincial elections approaches. In order that the election campaign, as well as the polls and their aftermath take place in a climate of peace, calm and security, the CIAT* requires the billeting of all the units of the FARDC, on the whole national territory, except for those committed to joint operations with MONUC in the east of the country. |
W.Swing: The CIAT will cease its functions when the new president takes up his duties | |
Monuc - September 11, 2006 | |
![]() | On Saturday September 9 2006, William Swing, the UN Special Representative in the DRC, gave a progress report to Radio Okapi on the role of MONUC, in this part of the political transition. |
MONUC satisfied with DRC electoral process but concerned with humanitarian situation | |
Monuc - September 6, 2006 | |
![]() | At the weekly press conference on this Wednesday September 6 2006, MONUC expressed its satisfaction with the progress of the DRC electoral process, while remaining concerned with the humanitarian situation in the country. |
Counting the casualties after Kinshasa battle | |
IRIN - August 25, 2006 | |
![]() | At least 66 people had been killed and wounded during three days of fighting in Kinshasa, the Congolese capital, between forces of President Joseph Kabila and Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba, the minister of interior said on Friday. |