|A United Nations official in the Democratic Republic of Congo says its premature to declare a winner in last month's elections, despite the release of some early results.
U.N. representative Jean-Tobie Okala tells VOA Tuesday from Kinshasa that only three of 62 compilation stations have reported results indicating President Joseph Kabila overwhelmingly won in the eastern part of the country. Other early reports indicate that Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba won in the west.
Congo's independent electoral commission could release preliminary national results as early as next week.
Okala says turnout was as high as 90 percent in some areas, as millions came out to vote in the country's first democratic election in nearly 40 years.
Voting was extended an extra day in some provinces after several polling stations were burned.
A run-off between the top two presidential candidates will be held October 29 if no one wins more than 50 percent of the vote.
President Joseph Kabila is widely expected to retain power, beating the more than 30 other candidates.
Some information for this report was provided by AP.
- Felix Tshisekedi Sworn In as DR Congo President (January 24, 2019)
- Constitutional Court Declares Tshisekedi Winner of Presidential Election (January 19, 2019)
- Felix Tshisekedi Vows to Be the President of All Congolese (January 10, 2019)
- Felix Tshisekedi Elected DR Congo President (January 10, 2019)
- DR Congo Delays Results of December Election (January 6, 2019)
- Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
- No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
- US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
- Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
- DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
- Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
- Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
- Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
- Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
- Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
- Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
- Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
- DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
- DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
- Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
- DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
- Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
- The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
- Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
- Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
- DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
- At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
- US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
- DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
- Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)