ICC to Hear Arguments Tuesday About the Possible Release of Congo Rebel Leader Lubanga | |
VOA News - June 23, 2008 | |
![]() | The International Criminal Court (ICC) will hear arguments Tuesday about the evidence against Thomas Lubanga, the former leader of the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC) militia from eastern Congo. He has been held in The Hague, Netherlands, since March 2006 on charges of committing war crimes by recruiting children as militia members. |
Ugandan Rebel Leader Calls for Return to Negotiations | |
VOA News - June 23, 2008 | |
![]() | "As the chairman of the Lord's Resistance Army I want these peace talks to resume back again to Juba," he said. "I want to go to table back again to Juba and I need also not to fight again with Uganda government." |
UN classifies rape a 'war tactic' | |
BBC News - June 20, 2008 | |
![]() | The UN Security Council has voted unanimously in favour of a resolution classifying rape as a weapon of war. The document describes the deliberate use of rape as a tactic in war and a threat to international security. |
DR Congo troops prepare to move in on Ugandan rebels | |
XINHUA - June 19, 2008 | |
![]() | The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) will very soon launch a new operation to track down and expel elements of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a Ugandan rebel group, from the east of the country, according to official sources. |
UN 'lied' in report on Bas-Congo killings - govt | |
IRIN - June 18, 2008 | |
![]() | The government of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has dismissed as "mendacious" a UN report that accused police of killing 100 civilians in Bas-Congo province. On 13 June, the UN mission in DRC, MONUC, released a report following an investigation into the actions of a contingent of Kinshasa-based police against members of the Bundu dia Kongo sect in several areas of Bas-Congo. The report said at least 100 people, most of them sect members, had been killed on 28 February. |
UN, US Pressure Mounts Against FDLR Rebels in Eastern DRC | |
VOA News - June 17, 2008 | |
![]() | The United States is re-emphasizing a reward program of up to $5 million per person to get information about 13 Rwandan genocide suspects still believed to be in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This comes as the U.N. peacekeeping mission says it is trying to be more forceful in pushing the Rwandan fighters out of Congo. |
MONUC report on the Bas Congo violence in February/March 2008 | |
MONUC - June 14, 2008 | |
![]() | A multidisciplinary team led by the United Nations Office for Human Rights was deployed in Bas Congo province from 17 -28 March 2008, to inquire into the violent incidents that took place between the Congolese National Police (PNC) and Bundu Dia Kongo* (BDK) members in Bas Congo, in February and March 2008. |
Bandundu: UN brings aid to Congolese deportees from Angola | |
MONUC - June 12, 2008 | |
![]() | At its weekly press conference of 11 June 2008, MONUC said that it was facilitating the transport of a UN multi-agency team to the territory of Kasong-Lunda, Bandundu province, to bring much needed emergency kits and to evaluate the humanitarian and security situation of over 20,000 Congolsese deported from Angola. |
International Criminal Court Delays Trial for Congolese War Lord | |
VOA News - June 11, 2008 | |
![]() | The International Criminal Court (ICC) has delayed the trial of former Congolese militia leader Thomas Lubanga, whose trial was scheduled to start this month. Media reports say the delay was due to concerns about evidence the prosecution refused to disclose to defense lawyers. |
Secuirity Council Delegation Meets Congo President Kabila | |
VOA News - June 7, 2008 | |
![]() | The U.N. Security Council says Congo's president has a vision for his country that includes improving security through the disarming of rebel groups and holding talks with them to bring lasting peace to his country. Council members met with President Joseph Kabila in Congo Saturday at his presidential palace. |
All news pages
|