Security Council calls on DR Congo rebels to disarm, end child recruitment | |
UN News - December 21, 2007 | |
![]() | Concerned at the worsening situation in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where fighting has escalated between Government and renegade forces, the Security Council today demanded that all rebel groups lay down their arms and immediately stop recruiting children. |
North Kivu: FARDC maintain blocking positions against Nkunda's rebels | |
MONUC - December 20, 2007 | |
![]() | At its weekly press conference of 19 December 2007, MONUC announced that there "appears to be a progressive stabilisation" of the situation, as the FARDC have taken up blocking positions east, west and north of Laurent Nkunda's rebels in North Kivu province. |
World Bank Board Discusses Four-Year Strategy for DRC | |
The World Bank - December 18, 2007 | |
![]() | The Board of Executive Directors of the World Bank Group today discussed the Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) for the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) for the fiscal years 2008-2011. |
DR Congo invites rebels to talks | |
BBC News - December 18, 2007 | |
![]() | The Democratic Republic of Congo has announced a peace conference at the end of the month aimed at ending the conflict in the east of the country. The government says all parties in the conflict are being invited, including rebel leader Gen Laurent Nkunda. |
UNHCR chief Guterres calls for end to North Kivu fighting | |
UNHCR - December 17, 2007 | |
![]() | UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres has called for an end to the fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and pledged to help improve conditions in camps there for tens of thousands of displaced people. Guterres, wrapping up a three-day visit to DRC's strife-torn North Kivu province on Sunday, said the real solution to the massive displacement lay in lasting peace. |
A final farewell: William Swing receives standing ovation from MONUC staff | |
MONUC - December 14, 2007 | |
![]() | As his final departure from the DRC draws nearer, William Lacy Swing, who directed the United Nations Mission to the DR Congo (MONUC) for 4 years, met with MONUC Kinshasa staff to bid farewell on 12 December 2007. |
IEC holds evaluation meeting to point the way forward for 2008 | |
MONUC - December 13, 2007 | |
![]() | The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) held an evaluation meeting with its NGO partners at its offices in Kinshasa on 12 December 2007, to assess the lessons learned from the 2006 elections, and to create a strategic framework for the holding of the DRC local, urban and municipal elections in 2008. |
MONUC is committed to defending the towns of Sake and Goma | |
MONUC - December 12, 2007 | |
![]() | At its weekly press conference of 12 December 2007, MONUC announced that more than 4,500 blue helmets have been deployed in North Kivu province, to ensure the defence of the towns of Goma and Sake. Furthermore, blue helmets will maintain their presence in Mushake to protect displaced populations in Kilolirwe, Kitchanga and Kanyabayonga. |
After Military Gains, DRC Rebels Poised Above Town Near Goma | |
VOA News - December 12, 2007 | |
![]() | General Indrajeet Narayan of MONUC, the United Nations peacekeeping force in DRC, says the army is consolidating its power and will come out stronger than it has been. "Reversals take place in war. Sometimes you have victories, sometimes you have reversals," he said. "I am sure this reversal is a very temporary reversal in nature. The FARDC [government forces] will consolidate and will come out stronger than ever it was." |
DR Congo rebels retake key town | |
BBC News - December 11, 2007 | |
![]() | It has been confirmed that rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo have recaptured the eastern town of Mushake, which they ceded to the army last week. |
All news pages
|