Congo Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Independence | |
Congo News Agency - June 30, 2010 | |
![]() | An impressive parade of the Congolese Armed Forces, the national police and civilians took place on Wednesday in Kinshasa, on the new Triumphal Boulevard, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s accession to national and internationally sovereignty. |
UN chief arrives in DR Congo to attend events marking independence anniversary | |
UN News - June 29, 2010 | |
![]() | Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is scheduled to take part in a gala dinner tonight in the capital, Kinshasa, which is being hosted by Joseph Kabila, the President of the DRC. He will also hold a bilateral meeting with Mr. Kabila and other heads of State during his visit. |
Belgian King Arrives in Kinshasa for Congo's Independence Celebrations | |
ACP - June 28, 2010 | |
![]() | King Albert II arrived in Kinshasa on Monday to take part in the celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of the Democratic Republic of Congo's independence from Belgium. |
Report Says Uganda's Elusive LRA Rebel Almost Caught Last Year | |
VOA News - June 24, 2010 | |
![]() | A new report by the Washington-based, anti-genocide Enough Project says the elusive leader of the Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army was nearly caught last year by the Ugandan army in a remote area of the Central African Republic. But the group says limited assistance from the international community and lack of support from regional governments are hampering the Ugandan army's ability to deal a knock-out blow to the terrorist organization. |
Tullow Oil loses Congolese permit on Lake Albert | |
BBC News - June 24, 2010 | |
![]() | The Congolese government has given an oil permit claimed by Tullow Oil to a rival consortium. The oil ministry says the permit is invalid as president Kabila did not approve it. The government has given the permit to a rival consortium that includes South Africa's state oil company PetroSa. |
Lumumba's Family Seeks Justice in Former Congo Prime Minister's Killing | |
ACP - June 22, 2010 | |
![]() | According to Christophe Marchand, a lawyer for Lumumba’s family, a criminal complaint will be filed against “twelve people”, all Belgians, who were “living at the time” in Katanga, where the hero of Congo’s independence from Belgium was killed on Jan. 17, 1961, shortly after his transfer from Leopoldville (now Kinshasa), in circumstances that still remain unclear. |
Top UN envoy bids farewell to first batch of blue helmets leaving DR Congo | |
UN News - June 16, 2010 | |
![]() | The Security Council last month agreed to transform the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (MONUC) into a stabilization mission in the coming weeks, authorizing the withdrawal of up to 2,000 UN military personnel – from an existing strength of 19,815 – by 30 June from areas where security has improved enough to allow their removal. |
Adolphe Muzito Withdraws Decrees on new Towns and Municipalities | |
Radio Okapi - June 10, 2010 | |
![]() | Prime Minister Adolphe Muzito announced on Thursday he was withdrawing the decrees he had signed conferring the status of town and municipalities to some parts of the country. He said he would instead establish a technical committee to propose changes. |
Veteran United States diplomat appointed to top UN post in DR Congo | |
UN News - June 9, 2010 | |
![]() | Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has named Roger A. Meece, a United States national with over three decades of international experience, including in a number of African nations, as the top United Nations envoy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Mr. Meece will succeed Alan Doss of the United Kingdom, who concludes his term as the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of the UN mission in DRC at the end of June. |
UN experts welcome steps taken in wake of murder of Floribert Chebeya | |
UN News - June 9, 2010 | |
![]() | A group of United Nations experts today welcomed the suspension of the chief of the national police of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the arrest of several officers in the investigation into last week’s murder of a prominent human rights defender. In a statement issued last week, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon noted that the Congolese interior ministry has ordered the State security service to investigate the death of Mr. Chebeya, stressing that the probe must be “thorough, transparent and independent, with full respect for due process and rule of law.” |
All news pages
|