Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS

News



Global Witness takes UK government to court over Congo conflict minerals

Global Witness - July 26, 2010

Global WitnessThe British government is acting unlawfully in refusing to put forward eligible UK companies and individuals trading in Congolese 'conflict minerals' for targeted UN sanctions, said campaign group Global Witness today in an application to the High Court for a judicial review.
ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga

BBC News - July 23, 2010

Thomas LubangaThe International Criminal Court has suspended the release of the accused in its first case, Thomas Lubanga from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Prosecutors have appealed against the court's decision to release him after his trial was suspended last week. He will remain in custody until judges rule on the appeal, the court said.
Huge DR Congo gold mine to open, displacing 15,000

BBC News - July 22, 2010

Rangold Resources Kibali ProjectMining firm Randgold Resources says it is to begin mining Africa's largest undeveloped gold deposit - in eastern DR Congo. The mine will require the re-location of 15,000 people, but Randgold says the project has the support of the government and the local community.
U.S. Financial Bill Will Require Disclosure on Conflict Minerals - Hillary Clinton

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton - July 22, 2010

Joseph Kabila with Hillary Clinton in Goma - CongoPresident Obama has now signed into law a measure that will require corporations to publicly disclose what they are doing to ensure that their products don't contain these minerals. The DRC has formally expressed its support for this law and has thanked both the executive and legislative branches of our government. This is one of several steps we are taking to stop this illicit and deadly trade.
Rights Group Says Arms Transport Needs Regulation

VOA News - July 19, 2010

Kinshasa - gunsStates are failing to control the transport of weapons around the world, says a new report from London-based watchdog Amnesty International. Transport companies registered in China, France, the Russian Federation, Britain and the United States move weapons to countries where they could be used to commit human-rights violations.
African Champions TP Mazembe win their first group game

BBC Sport - July 18, 2010

TP MazembeDefending champions TP Mazembe got their Group A campaign off to a great start with a 2-0 win over Dynamos in Harare. Zambia striker Given Singuluma scored both goals, the first a header from close range in the 16th minute.
U.S. passes landmark reforms on resource transparency

Global Witness - July 15, 2010

ColtanProvisions in the Financial Reform Act will require oil, gas and mining companies registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission to publicly disclose their tax and revenue payments to governments around the world. The Act will also require companies whose products contain cassiterite (tin ore), coltan, wolframite and gold to disclose to the SEC whether they are sourcing these minerals from the Democratic Republic of Congo or adjoining countries.
ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga

ICC - July 15, 2010

Thomas LubangaFollowing its decision, dated 8 July, 2010, imposing an unconditional stay on the proceedings of the case The Prosecutor v. Thomas Lubanga Dyilo, Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court today ordered the release of the accused. According to the judges, an accused cannot be held in preventative custody on a speculative basis, namely that at some stage in the future the proceedings may be resurrected.
20,000 Flee Fighting with Ugandan Rebels in Eastern Congo

VOA News - July 14, 2010

Congo - Rwanda borderThe United Nations estimates 20,000 civilians in eastern Congo have been forced to flee their homes over the past week as violence increases along the volatile border with Uganda. The latest fighting has scattered people in the Beni region, located in the northernmost part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo's North Kivu province.
ICC rejects Germain Katanga's motion to suspend trial

ICC - July 12, 2010

Germain KatangaThe International Criminal Court decided by majority, with Judge Kourula and Judge Trendafilova dissenting, to dismiss the appeal of Germain Katanga against the decision entitled “Decision on the Motion of the Defence for Germain Katanga for a Declaration on Unlawful Detention and Stay of Proceedings” of Trial Chamber II of 20 November 2009.



All news pages

» All 213 pages




Examples: Kabila | Tshisekedi | Kinshasa | Mazembe


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play


Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.